Sunday 20 November 2011

A Good Day In Scilly...

By Ashley Fisher

The day started off well with a trip around the inter island waters aboard the MV Sapphire. Highlights included three Spoonbills, three first-winter drake Eiders and, remarkably, a group of four Black-necked Grebe.

Photograph by Joe Pender

Later, a walk through Lower Moors yielded Yellow-browed and Dusky Warblers and finally, the Wilson's Snipe - having been reported almost daily, I hadn't seen it for five days. When I entered the ISBG hide, it was feeding at point-blank range (see video below).



From Lower Moors, I decided to cut through the new school and check the Dump Clump. Despite spending about forty minutes intermittently 'pishing and squeaking' I had seen little of note. Just as I was exiting the wood, I heard the distinctive 'tack and rattle' of a Red-breasted Flycatcher - the latest, by one day, for Scilly (presumably the same bird that was seen in the Porth Hellick area on the 18th). I managed to get some 'record' video footage - see below: